Would you rather teach your Airbnb guests how to use the coffee maker OR have a cup of coffee with them? Connecting with the travelers sharing your home is what Airbnb is all about—and it’s a whole lot more interesting than showing someone how to work your appliances!
Austinite Nathan Rice lost his job in January of 2015. To earn some income while he looked for work, Nathan and his wife Julie listed the spare bedrooms in their home on Airbnb for the SXSW conference. Three years and 400 reviews later, the Rice’s have expanded to four listings and attained Superhost status on the platform.
Today Nathan offers his advice on optimizing the guest experience, explaining how to create a detailed digital house manual that makes you more approachable AND saves time. He shares insight on leveraging your photo gallery to communicate with potential guests and playing up your strengths in the listing description. Listen in for Nathan’s tips around making your guests more comfortable when they are sharing space and borrowing from other industries to up your hospitality game!
How Nathan got into hosting on Airbnb
- Lost job in 2015
- SXSW Festival coming up
- Listed two spare bedrooms in home
Nathan’s insight on improving the guest experience
- Borrow from other industries
- Create detailed house manual
- Provide video tour, how-to videos
- Personal interactions with guests
Nathan’s secrets to communicating through your photo gallery
- Post screenshot of positive guest feedback
- Use Google Street View screenshot to establish location
- Screenshot walking directions/distance of nearby attractions
Why Nathan stopped renting spare bedrooms when daughter was born
- Spare guests hearing baby cry
- Not worried about daughter’s safety
Nathan’s advice around making guests comfortable sharing your home
- Communicate when guests will be sharing facilities (i.e.: bathroom)
- Consider labeling cabinets, switches, etc.
The topics covered in Nathan’s eBook
- Calculating your earnings
- Automating listings
- Making space guest-ready
- Taking great photos
- Finding reliable cleaner, handyman
- Creating digital house manual
Connect with Nathan
Connect with Jasper
This episode is sponsored by Aviva IQ. Aviva IQ automates messages to your Airbnb guests. It's also free!
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below
Related Post: HelloHere Review: Improve Your Airbnb Hosting Experience