As the vacation rental market expands and matures many city, state and country governments have introduced rules and regulations. Sometimes these rules solve real problems but many times hosts are left with the feeling that they are for sole purpose of discouraging hosting.
Bruce Bennet is a host in San Francisco Califonia, which already has some of the toughest hosting regulations anywhere in the world. On this week’s show, Bruce joins Jasper to discuss his experience with hosting with his husband for the last two years at their home in San Francisco.
Bruce is active in fighting for the right to continue hosting and keeping the red tape to a minimum through the Home Sharers Democratic Club.
Some of the topics covered:
- Proposition F
- Bruce’s experience with guests
- The ongoing fight to keep hosting in San Francisco
- Hosted vs. unhosted rentals and the regulations that impact each
- The new tax that is leaving San Francisco’s Airbnb hosts bewildered
- The money behind the new rules and regulations