There is no shortage of Airbnb horror stories in the news. Accounts of hidden cameras, racial discrimination, and guests who’ve been scammed through the home-sharing platform seem to make headlines on a regular basis. The question is, what can we learn from these negative experiences?
Jasper is joined by Margot Lee Schmorak, Co-founder and CEO of Hostfully, to discuss Asher Fergusson’s recent blog post, ‘Is Airbnb Safe?’ They explain the four major causes of negative short-term rental experiences outlined in the post and offer advice around what hosts can glean from Asher’s analysis of 1,021 Airbnb horror stories.
Margot and Jasper also cover the suggestions made by travel bloggers concerning finding the best Airbnb listings. They speak to the importance of accurately representing the experience, responding professionally to negative reviews, and documenting anything out of the ordinary. Margot and Jasper also touch on an article in the Irish Times about the popularity of Airbnb in the country—and Europe at large. Listen in for insight on how to ensure that your guests have a positive experience, no matter where they’re from!
Article #1: It’s Official: Irish People Love Using Airbnb
- 20% of Irish have booked accommodations on peer-to-peer platform (third in EU)
- Home-sharing as cultural norm in Europe, used by 17% overall
- Only 8% of Europeans have used transportation apps like Uber
Article #2: Is Airbnb Safe? We Analyzed 1,021 Horror Stories to Find Out
- Categories include cancellations, scams, unsafe conditions, and ‘not as described’
- Hosts should create accurate representation of experience via listing
- Provide amenities as promised
- Consider using smartphone photos
- Make cleanliness a priority
- Ensure accuracy of location on map
- Travel bloggers’ advice around identifying quality Airbnb listings
- Focus on ten most recent reviews
- Examine how host responds to negative reviews
- Single women advised to look for female hosts
- Avoid hosts with multiple listings
- Document anything that goes wrong
- Use Superhost if possible
Article #1: irishtimes.com/business/technology/it-s-official-irish-people-love-using-airbnb-1.3335011
Article #2: asherfergusson.com/airbnb/
John from San Diego on GPFYP
Jasper’s YouTube Channel
Airbnb News Facebook Group
Get Paid for Your Pad Facebook Group
Connect with Jasper
Airbnb News Facebook Group
This episode is sponsored by Aviva IQ. Aviva IQ automates messages to your Airbnb guests. It’s also free!
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below
Click Here to Subscribe via iTunes
Click here to Subscribe via Stitcher (Android users)
If you like the show, please consider leaving the show a review in iTunes or Stitcher. A couple minutes of your time can help the show immensely! Thanks!