The Airbnb brand is all about inclusiveness, and its mission statement around ‘belonging anywhere’ gave CEO Brian Chesky the perfect opportunity to speak out on Twitter this week. In response to President Trump’s alleged reference to El Salvador, Haiti and African nations as ‘shithole countries,’ Chesky clapped back with a tweet reporting the number of Airbnb guests who have visited the three countries—2.7M. He followed that up with a series of photos of beautiful properties available in Haiti, Ghana and Kenya.
Jasper is joined by Nicole Prentice Williams, VP of Strategic Partnerships at Hostfully, to discuss this genius PR move on the part of Airbnb: ‘When we embrace the world, we see its beauty.’ They also discuss the new Pay Less Up Front feature that allows guests to pay a 50% deposit when they book, ultimately making Airbnb more competitive and accessible.
Nicole and Jasper also cover the disappointing new regulations in Amsterdam that further limit Airbnb hosts in the city and the story of frustrated Florida B&B owners who are struggling to compete with illegal short-term rentals. They wrap with tips for Twin Cities hosts preparing for the Super Bowl, explaining how both demand and supply are rising—and how to price your listing accordingly.
Article #1: Amsterdam to Halve Airbnb-Style Tourist Rentals to 30 Nights a Year Per Host
- Cutting short-term rentals to 30 days per calendar year in 2019
- Likely result of complaints around high number of tourists
- Disappointing decision, won’t solve problem of city congestion
- €11M in tourist taxes collected by Airbnb helps local economy grow
Article #2: Airbnb Launches Pay Less Up Front, a New Flexible Payment Option for Travelers
- Users no longer have to pay 100% up front
- Pay 50% at booking, 50% closer to check-in date
- Must book 14 days in advance, value greater than $250
- Makes Airbnb more competitive, accessible
Article #3: Florida B&Bs Struggle, Cry Foul as Unregulated Home-Sharing Options Soar
- Vacation rentals part of FL DNA
- Unlicensed short-term rentals not paying taxes
- Industry proposed legislation to ‘protect property rights of all homeowners’
Article #4: Airbnb Has Some Breathtaking Listings in ‘Shithole’ Countries
- Response to denigrating comments made by Trump
- Chesky promoting listings in Haiti, El Salvador and Africa
- Reported 2.7M Airbnb guests visited the three countries
- ‘When we embrace the world, we see its beauty’
Article #5: Airbnb Business Booming in Twin Cities Ahead of Super Bowl
- 3,300 hosts in Twin Cities registered on Airbnb
- Demand is up, but supply up even more
- Don’t go overboard on price, may not get booking
- Learn from Beyond Pricing study in Houston
Article #1: techcrunch.com/2018/01/10/amsterdam-to-halve-airbnb-style-tourist-rentals-to-30-nights-a-year-per-host/?ncid=mobilerecirc_recent
Article #2: press.atairbnb.com/airbnb-launches-pay-less-up-front-a-new-flexible-payment-option-for-travelers/
Article #3: virginislandsdailynews.com/ap/florida-b-bs-struggle-cry-foul-as-unregulated-home-sharing/article_f3c999b9-ca7f-5088-9681-1846f7ebfb05.html
Article #4: fortune.com/2018/01/14/airbnb-shithole-countries/
Brian Chesky on Twitter
Article #5: kstp.com/business/airbnb-business-booming-ahead-of-super-bowl-lii-head-of-trust-and-risk-management-says-vacation-rental-platform-safe/4744586/
Beyond Pricing Super Bowl Blog
Connect with Jasper
Airbnb News Facebook Group
This episode is sponsored by Payfully. Payfully allows Airbnb hosts to get paid within 24 hours after a booking is received. Use code GPFYP to get the first advance for free!
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below
Click Here to Subscribe via iTunes
Click here to Subscribe via Stitcher (Android users)
If you like the show, please consider leaving the show a review in iTunes or Stitcher. A couple minutes of your time can help the show immensely! Thanks!