Is Airbnb inching toward an IPO?
All signs point to yes.
In the news this week are stories of Airbnb naming its first independent board member and the expansion of Experiences, both of which suggest that the company will be selling shares in the very near future. Jasper is joined by Glenn Carter, Head of Marketing at Hostfully, to discuss the potential for Airbnb to go public in 2018.
Glenn and Jasper also cover stories exploring whether Airbnb is still cheaper than hotels in the world’s major cities and how regulations in Berlin have affected the number of apartments available on the rental market. Listen in to find out which tennis star is designing the Airbnb-friendly apartments for Niido in Florida and how you can win a stay in an unusual Airbnb listing at sea in the Bahamas! What do you dream of exploring beneath the waves?
- Former CEO of American Express
- Provides ‘outside supervision’ of company
- Points to IPO in next 12 months
- First profitable year in 2017 ($3.5B revenue, $1M profit)
- Uncertainty around regulations could hold back
- Expanding to 200 US locations
- Global guest bookings up 2,000%
- Number of experiences up to 4K
- Push to be end-to-end travel service
- Compares average prices in major cities
- NYC: $306 for hotel vs. $187 for Airbnb
- Data pulled from AirDNA, HRS
- Average prices don’t consider Airbnb perks (i.e.: kitchen, deals)
Article #4: Venus Williams to Design Airbnb Apartments
- Creating looks for Niido apartments in Florida
- 324-unit building designed to accommodate Airbnb
- Contest for free, two-night stay including underwater dive
- Located at sea off Cape Eleuthera in Bahamas
- ‘What do you dream of exploring beneath the waves?’
- 8K apartments returned to rental market
- 4K from short-term rental market, 4K had been empty
- Legislation in progress to allow vacation rentals 60 days/year
Connect with Jasper
This episode is sponsored by Payfully. Payfully allows Airbnb hosts to get paid within 24 hours after a booking is received. Use code GPFYP to get the first advance for free!