Airbnb headlines offer serious bank this week: From using your Airbnb income to refinance an existing mortgage to the company’s prosperous internal hedge fund to Airbnb’s investment in Japanese minpaku, the news is all about the cash money.
Jasper is joined by Hostfully’s VP of Strategic Partnerships, Nicole Prentice Williams, to discuss who is rolling in the dough courtesy of Airbnb. First up are hosts looking to refinance a mortgage; they can now negotiate better terms based on proof of income statements provided by Airbnb. The second group benefitting from Airbnb is … Airbnb themselves. An internal hedge fund established by former CFO Laurence Tosi rakes in $5M per month for the platform. (Tell me again why he was let go?)
Nicole and Jasper also cover the Experience hosts who will have the opportunity to earn additional Airbnb income as the program expands to a remarkable 25K excursions by the end of the year as well as the aspiring Airbnb hosts in Japan who have been offered full-service packages to get started.
Listen in for the scoop on the $25M recently invested in Outdoorsy, the Airbnb of recreational vehicles, and learn how you can leverage the sharing economy to earn money renting an RV!
- Use Airbnb salary to negotiate better terms
- Partnership with Quicken Loans, Citizens Bank & Better Mortgage
- Fannie Mae promoting innovation in affordable mortgage credit
- Obtain Proof of Income through Airbnb
- Former CFO Laurence Tosi applied experience at Blackstone
- Used Airbnb’s cash flow to generate $5M/month
- Accounts for 2/3 of Airbnb’s annual profit
- Fewer than 100K RVs available through traditional rental market
- 14M privately-owned RVs in US, majority ‘collecting dust’
- Outdoorsy pays for on-demand insurance, roadside assistance
- Grown to 5K excursions in 58 cities
- 25K Experiences available by end of 2018
- Minpaku = private lodging market
- Focus on tourism in Japan
- From 13M visitors in 2014 to 24M in 2017
- Airbnb offering full-service package for hosts
- Includes insurance and furnishings
Connect with Jasper
This episode is sponsored by Payfully. Payfully allows Airbnb hosts to get paid within 24 hours after a booking is received. Use code GPFYP to get the first advance for free!